Monday, July 4, 2011

Funny experience in buying Abaya


          All women here in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia wear Abaya.  It is the cultural dress or folk costume for many countries of the Arabian Peninsula such as Saudi Arabia.  Abaya’s are long loose black dress that covers the whole body except the hands, feet and face.  It is paired with a veil that covers the whole face except the eyes.
         When I got here in KSA, I only have one Abaya with me which I bought from an Indonesian boutique back in the Philippines.  I am not a Muslim and I don’t wear Abaya back in my home country.  Since wearing an Abaya is a requirement for women here especially when going out, so I thought of buying another one as substitute for the used one.
        While my husband and I were at a mall in Al Khobar,  we went to the ladies section and started looking for an Abaya.  I got peeved as all Abaya’s were too big for me, even the smallest size in the ladies section were still big for me.  Hubby suggested we go to the children’s section and look for one in there that might fit me.  I thought he must be joking but when I finally found an Abaya that perfectly fits me at the children’s section, it made me laugh.          

0 comments: